Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Zeltbahn in the front yard

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, Sep 8, 2006.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I set up the tent put a plywood floor in it and put out a folding table and chairs, my schemmel or foot stool too. I made a fire ring and have campfires and light the kerosene lantern, now all i need is for some one to come over and sing deutsche Volkslieder, (German Songs) with me around the campfire, stop off at wal-mart and get a footstool too. they are called sturdy stool. and cost about 9.95, made in China. or get plans from the Edge from about 5 years ago and build your own. admit it this sounds like fun if you are heller wahnsig,(slightly crazy)

2. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    which songs?

Ok here is a place www.ingeb.org and a list of songs to memorize, Erika,Panzer lied, Funkerlied, Markische Heide, Westerwaldlied, Lilli Marleen. Wacht am Rhein, Hahnschen Klein,, und so weiter (and so forth) let me know if you do it and get anywhere. and of course wether u are stopping by lol :eek:

3. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Stahlhelm

I placed a German Helmet at the peak of the zelt (pyramidal tent) just for atmosphere and i have a matress and pillows and a floor in the tent so I can sneak a nap out here, Im way out in the woods so no one can see me being silly.

4. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Cats

One more thing, the cats and I have a bunch think the tent is the bee's knees, and play in it non stop, oh, dont worry its the Fench one so if it gets messed up no big thing, my good German splinter pattern A one is put away and so is my plain green Swedish one,

5. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    KP tent in the woods.

Are there any neighbours there KP?
    I have a CD taken from an original record to tape of Lala Andersen favourites with naturally Lili Marlene. This was presented to an old 8th.Army friend (the tape not CD) by the President of the Afrika Korps Old Comrades association, they also gave him a 'presentation plate' made for the 'Afrika Korps Association'; the words on it translate to 'Chivalry in War', a special bond between the Afrika Korps and the 'Desert Rats'.
    Are you sure that you are spelling your foot-stool correctly? I think there is only one 'm'. 'Schemel'.

6. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Question

As an after-thought, what does your 'sick wife' do without her sole carer while you are camping in the woods?

7. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Schemel. wife

we live in the woods, I am only ten feet from her when I am in the tent. the front yard is a joke about ten feet before the dirt road, as far as neighbors yes, behind me is Paul a ww2 MP (Military Policeman) and my landlord 93 yo across the pond and Richard a retired electrician. his trailer is so deep in the woods he can't see us for the trees -the same for Paul and David, this is thick woods, I would not leave my wife unattended. my cell phone is in my pocket and she has hers, we end up using them like an intercom. I have seen schemel spelled both ways. but you are probably right , thank you.

8. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Zelt

Hello again KP, I thought that was the case, you living in the woods, how far from town/city?
    Please take this in the best possible way, I can see you as one of my pre-war American comic heros, 'lil Abner from Dogpatch' if that was his name.

9. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    DOGPATCH

Lil Abner is indeed an Arkansas product. the jokes told about log cabins and bearded moonshine runners abound here are true, and we are regarded as Hill Billies. the Beverly Hill Billies came from here. I could go on and on about American folk heroes and cultural icons that have this area as their source.But we are Chicagoans transplanted here after retirement from the Chicago Public Schools. We Live 10 miles from the city limits of Hot Springs Arkansas and about thiry miles west of Little Rock the state capitol. there are mostly trees between here and there both directions. But there are houses in among the trees. i counted about 6 mail boxes between the city limits of Hot Springs, Population 35,000. and our house. the area is nestled in the Ouachita Montains which run east and west. Our house is on the side of one of those mountains. after you get on 30 the big 4 lane intersatate hiway you are out of the mountains and into flat land, but from exit 111 to way past Hot Springs its mountain after mountain.These are tree covered mountains, not those snow topped granite things. In between the mountains run creeks and rivers some of them very pretty. the Ouachita River was damned up to make three large lakes. Lake Ouachita, Lake Hamilton, and Lake Catherine. Fishing and hunting is good here. the climate is very mild. We are refered to as Yankees. when i first got here i saw on a mans hat a slogan, keep the South beautiful, put a yankee on a bus. Well, we are still here. 13 years!

10. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Lil Abner

I thought I was about right, thank you for the info.
    Give my regards to Daisey Mae!!!

11. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Dogpatch USA

I looked it up on Google there is a Lil Abner site, Andy Capp was born in Connecticut, in New England, worked for a time on Joe Palooka, left that and created the Lil Abner character, the site says that Dogpatch USA was located between Harrison and Jasper Arkansas but was closed down in the mid 1990s with no plans to re-open it.

12. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Dogpatch USA

there was a commercial theme park called Dogpatch USA located between harrison and Jasper Arkansas, i t closed down in the mid 1990s People in Little Rock were not terribly happy about the backwords bufoon image of citizens of this state, but there are definate connections between Lum and Abner, Bob Burns characters. Ma and Pa Kettle ,and the Beverly Hillbillies. The northern part of state shares the Ozark mountains with Missouri. and the idea of Arkansas being hill billy heaven is a given. Numerous country and western singers hail from here such as Johnnie Cash and Glenn Campbell.