Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Researching non-relatives

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by WW2Rhino, Aug 9, 2008.

  1. WW2Rhino

    WW2Rhino Member

    Jul 26, 2008
    Likes Received:
    I am an avid collector of ww2 items, including some uniforms. Several of the uniforms/photos are named. I know that in the UK you can easily research veterans records and get full copies, even if they aren't relatives. How can I research names here in the US. Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

    Also, is it possible to obtain any records if all you know is the division, and the laundry code... example H-61553. All uniforms are coded this way by the soldier/airman for ID after laundering, which usually is the first letter of the last name plus the end string of numbers for their service ID number. When I served in the USAF we used the first letter of the last name and the last four of our social security number.

  2. redfan45

    redfan45 Member

    Jul 13, 2008
    Likes Received:
    i dont know but i would like to know too

Share This Page