Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

FW 190 defending the reich

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by Kai-Petri, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

This one has stayed on my mind for a while as well...

I read Heinz Knoke´s book a while ago, and it had a little mention on pilots with FW 190 ( probably Ta 152 ) whose plane´s front window was bullet proof glass, and probably had heavier armament than normally. They also had a sign on their planes and jackets, two big eyeballs. This is because their mission was to attack the B17´s face-to-face and open fire only when they see the pilot´s eyeballs.

Anyway, I´d like to hear more of them if possible. I tried to pinpoint them, possibly III/JG 54 ? I´d be thankful for all the information I can have!

2. the gunners dream

the gunners dream Member

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Hey, I think this is a job for Herr Brown! :D ;)

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

vielen Dank Friedrich ! :D

kai :

I wish my web-pages were up because your questions about the weisse eugen would be answered in full. You are talking about the Fw 190A-8/R-2 and R-8 variants, and specifically one of three sturmgruppen units that flew these heavy anti-bomber a/c. Equipped generally with two 2cm and two 3cm weapons in the wings. Sometimes fitted with the colwing mg 131's and many times not, the cowling openings being aerodynamically faired over. The unit you speak of is IV.Sturm/JG 3 which tore into the bombers with fury, as did II.Sturm/JG 4 and II.Sturm/JG 300.
    Sturm JG 3's motto was don;t fire until you see the whites of their eyes ! When the unit completed it's first major action on 7-7-44 over Oschersleben it was presented with the whit eyes emblem on the left side of the upper pocket on the lederjacke. And pilots that made it through the hell battles of 44 finally removed the eyes insignia when they transferred to the Ost Front at the end of January 45.
    I have tons more info if interested in specifics as our web-pages will not return until the JG 300 book we are translating is finally published.....next spring.

E ;)

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Kai :

Here is a German web-site... www.JG 300.de
    be aware it has many mistakes, but you can check the II./JG 300 box and that will give you a hint as to what their Fw 190's looked like.

Here is a magazine article that web-master Neil Page and I put together for the modelling community primarily as an introduction to our book on the Sturmgruppen through the elite series of Osprey maybe next year.
    Scale Aircraft Modeling, Volume 23, number 1, march 2001.....aircraft in detail is the article, Seymour Distibution Limited, London, UK Tel 0171 396 8000. The article goes from pages 16-30, including photos and profile drawings of a/c. you'll find several pics of pilots with the white eyes on their jakets here.

Also books . Dr. Jochen Prien IV./JG 3 by Sturve Verlag, Eutin, Germany
    Eric Mombeek. Sturmjäger volumes 1, and 2 covering JG 4. Self-published in Belgium.

E

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I thank you Erich very much on this. Superb!

7. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Do you see? I knew he could not let you down! ;)

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich's Da Man on these forums when it comes to Luftwaffe, as is Timo is Da Man when it comes to things about LSSAH. :D

9. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

As well as Herr Evans is the one for militaria and vets. And certainly NOT for demographic chypers.

As Martin is the one for books.

As Friedrich is the one for... :confused: stupid jokes! :D

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks Friedrich--------------I think? ;)

11. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ah.....ok ! Out of the mountains early and wih I was still there but that is another story. Friedrich I see you have passed the 1000 mark ! Congrats..... you'll be past me in another month the way you are going. Using my dad's computer which is an ancient compaq so my messages may not make any sense. Out of state so I can;t respond to well, but will be home on Friday/Saturday hopefully.

Gruß

E :D

13. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

No, Erich. Unfortunately I won't be able to post as much as I have posted this holidays. I am switching job... In this nice holiday job, because I was allowed here to use the Internet as I pleased... But in the new one (some mechanic stuff) I will not have any computer available. :mad: But I have bills to pay now... Beside, I am joining a new opera course to improve my voice. So, I will only be able to post at night and the weekends... You can still being the 2nd of this forum. ;)

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Hi Kai !

Yes Jan and I go way back, this is how I got going with JG 4 vets. We helped jan with discovering some truths about this very mission.
    Check his links and you will see our site posted there !
    When the anniversary of 9-11 came I posted on this board a different type of tribute and that was to the fallen of JG 4 and the 100th b.g., by including this web-site.

E

16. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Had to visit the Imperial War Museum today ( on business ! ;) ) and took the opportunity of having a long close-up look at the Fw-190 there.

It's an A8 fighter-bomber of unknown service history ; considering the discussions we've been having here, very interesting to see how 'brutal' it looks alongside the Museums ex BofB Spitfire 1 and P-51D Mustang ( in 'Big Beautiful Doll' colour scheme, no less ...! )

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Greetings gents ! working my butt off as of late.........

hee, hee :D

well, well Neil and I have some surprises for the internet real soon concerning airborne missions over the Reich. With Otto's permission I will place the web-addy on this thread soon........

alles gut ! [​IMG]

Erich

18. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Looking forward to it Erich!!!

19. Stevin

Stevin Ace

SHOW US THE KWAN!

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ah the Alte seiten is coming back up now. Neil and I are working on getting some unpublished pics released for the site but in any case Neil has gone ahead and translated some work from the old Sturm Fw pages we once had on the net. Enjoy this and Neil will have a full translation pages; to me from ace of IV./JG 4, Ernst Scheufele real soon.

http://members.aol.com/falkeeins/Sturmgruppen/

E ~