Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US expats thinking of giving up their citizenship.

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Owen, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Have heard Hillary plays for both teams. Makes sense, what with the bent/twisted husband and all. How creeps make it to office is beyond me. ..Weiner etc,etc, etc...Would like Pope Francis to come in and clean house. He da man. Go Francis. hip hip hooray

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Or New York, or Washington D.C., or whatever state has an open Senate position.

Where are they actually living now?

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

I'd give up my earth membership if Palin ever reaches the White house.....I'd seriously have to think of moving in with Poppy on his planet...

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

You really can see Russia from Alaska.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

I can see the moon from here in Pennsylvania, however, that, in no way shape or form, qualifies me as an astronaut.

6. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Yeah, I'm just pointing out the never-ending "Palin is stupid" meme because of that statement. It really is more of a "liberals are stupid" or "liberals are geographically challenged" sort of thing. With that said, I wouldn't want Palin in the White House either, not because she's stupid (she isn't), but because she doesn't have the background for it. Kind of like the community organizer we have in the White House right now...

urqh likes this.
  7. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Yeah...I never got the upset about her Alaska statement....Don't like the woman, but not because of that. But then I don't give a fig for any politician of any nation including my own....That wall is a big one..and the macine guns are many...First the politicians...

8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Then the lawyers...

I'm totally with Palin on the small government thing, but the problem (with her) is that it's wrapped up with a lot of evangelical baggage. Within a few years this country will implode under the weight of its own debt. It's inevitable, unless somebody goes in with an axe and starts chopping off whole departments and agencies. We're borrowing 40 cents of every dollar spent!

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Planet Ignorance. It is blissful here. Join me.

10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

And "Putin's b1tch" inspires credibility and resolve in Australia?

KodiakBeer likes this.
  11. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

UK has the longest ie the most complex tax legislation in world. Why anyone would want to take it on voluntarily, I don't know.

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/56354.article
    http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/blogs/gina-dyer/team-blog/uk-tax-code-longest-world
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193496/ots_length_legislation_paper.pdf

One of my favourite movie moments, The Day after Tomorrow:
    I say Why wait for a climate disaster!

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Huh? Right over my head 58...?

13. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Putin recently 'played' Obama on the whole Syria red line thing, allowing a win for Syria and Russia. This has been a pattern since Obama became president - he's extremely naive on foreign relations. There's a saying in Vegas that if you sit down to play Poker and don't know who the sucker is, it's you. I get the same feeling whenever Obama sits down with other world leaders.

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Ahhh...thought you might be reffering to our recent "female" prime minister...what a disaster! Wont be another female leader for some time...Obama has his strengths, to be fair, im sure the red line thing wasnt a "off the top of my head" statement at the time...his advisors are as much to blame surely.

15. Karjala

Karjala Don Quijote

Well, he's not the first US (among others) president to be played by the Russians. FDR was by far the most harmful president for the USA (and many other countries) because of the very same thing - but exponentially so...

Other than that Obama seems to doing actually quite well - which is not difficult after Geoge W... - keeping in mind, that the Tea Party keeps trying it's best to sabotage everything.

16. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

In what way? He's burying us in debt, expanding government surveillance and generally infringing on personal liberties in every area. He is backing Islamic fundamentalists in Egypt, Libya, Syria and Tunisia. The economy is stagnant because he blocks domestic oil production and refuses to allow Canadian oil to flow in, coupled with a host of regulations and expensive new programs that make running a business a nightmare. This guy is an unmitigated disaster.

17. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

While FDR did approach the Alliance with the Soviet Union with an element of wishful thinking in his belief that he could talk Stalin into building a better world out of the chaos of the worst conflict in humanities sad history, the balance of this statement is utter balderdash.

18. Karjala

Karjala Don Quijote

Well - it was his very government which helped the soviets to build up their military machine in the 30's - despite all the knowledge available of the murderous nature of the soviet dictatorship.

He personally preferred Stalin to Churchill and let him have his way in everything - Eastern Europe included. To him (the traditional) imperialism was much worse than the communism.

His government could have limited the LL-aid at least from the 1944 onwards, letting Germany and the USSR to exhaust themselves. Instead he over-supplied the soviets to not only crush the Nazies, but to destroy Germany totally - and thus making the soviets the supreme and only military power in Continental Europe.

He tied the US hands with the precondition of the unconditional surrender of Germany. This forced all Germans - Nazies or not - to fight to the bitter end. They might have been tempted to overthrow the Nazies earlier if a peace without the Nazies would have been an option.

He could have ended the war with the USA as the leader of the hole world. Instead his decisions doomed the USA (and the World) to the horrors of the Korean War, the Vietnam War and so on - not to mention the atom bomb race, which almost destroyed the hole Earth.

Is there any worse president in the US history? He has to be pretty bad to beat FDR's achievements...

19. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

No, he didn't start the debt, but he doubled it. But you're wrong about the increased surveillance, the NSA surveillance has increased dramatically under Obama. It's far worse than in the Bush years.

I suppose, but we've had a pretty good balance for 200 years without finding a need to further curtail liberties. I don't think we need to curtail any more at this time.

The Exxon Valdez damage was paid by the oil company without any lasting economic effects, I should know since I live in the heart of where it happened. Katrina? Why would Katrina be an oil problem?

You too live in an oil based economy. We all do.

20. lwd

lwd Ace

But you laugh at him anyway. :)